Saturday, September 29, 2007

Deplorable Conditions in Hutto Detention Center

"I Want To Be Free": 9-Year-Old Canadian Citizen Pleads From Texas Immigration Jail

Kevin is nine years old. He's a Canadian citizen (Seeking Asylum in Canada) flying from Iran with his parents. They were flying over the United States, when the plane had to land in Puerto Rico because a passenger had a heart attack, and when they landed, the Majid family was taken off the flight ...taken to Hutto Detention Center.


You Tube Video

HUTTO PRISON CONDITIONS:
"You have a child who is sleeping in what was a jail cell for a maximum-security prison that has been converted, but they still leave the exposed toilet, you know, sitting in the middle of their room. There's no privacy. With other children, he's in a room separate from his parents. Now, but the door may be not locked at night, but that door is certainly shut, and it’s a steel heavy door. They are placed in a prison. There's no doubt that this is a prison. And what is particularly troubling about this is that this was designed for the purpose of holding families, yet they made a conscious decision to maintain the facility as a prison, to leave the barbed wire, to leave the doors, to leave the environment as a prison. "

The Hutto facility is run by CCA, the Corrections Corporation of America. In fact, the jail is named after CCA’s cofounder, T. Don Hutto. It is very clearly a PRISON that is being used to house inmates, and it has no resemblance to a home. I mean, there’s sofas. There are plastic sofas and TVs, but that’s about it. And one of the things that's very disturbing about this model that they’re using is that there are alternatives. As I mentioned before, there are pre-hearing release programs that could be used.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why I Feel Good Today: A Kind Hearted Moment

I was driving home during rush hour traffic today. I was trying to hurry home. My husband left his bowling equipment in the car and he was bowling at 6. He called me about 4 and asked me to be home by 5:15. It takes me 40 minutes to drive home so I left right at 4:30.

I was midway through my drive in the heart of traffic and the toll road. Suddenly a red car alarm light went off. I looked at my gauges and saw my car was HOT! My husband had just added Antifreeze the night before so I could not imagine why my car was running hot. I remembered his words, "I was careful to even fill the overflow. You will be fine now." So why was my car saying it was hot?

This had been quite a day. The only day in history that I forgot my cell phone. Now, rushing home, the car alarm light blinking red and the water gauge saying HOT. I thought about trying to drive home with the HOT light on but decided against it. Ten years earlier I did that very thing in my trusty Cavalier. I think the mechanic said I "cracked my engine block" and it cost me $4000 to replace my engine.

I decided to take the next exit off the Toll Road. It was totally unfamiliar territory, but I saw a Firestone station about a block ahead and decided to turn into it.

I parked my car in front of one of the entryways. I rushed up to the lead mechanic. I think he was the lead mechanic because he was the one carrying a clip board. I pleaded, "Can you help me?" I must have looked pitiful and exasperated. He put down his clipboard and said, "What´s wrong?"

Excitedly I explained about my car gauges and not knowing what to do.

It was about 5:00, towards the end of their workday. All 5 mechanics came around to listen to my animated story. They all walked me to my car. The head mechanic lifted the hood. Suddenly it was as if all of the mechanics were frozen. I looked at them. I looked at the engine. There, next to the radiator was the radiator cap, laying neatly upside down on top of the radiator. The mechanics looked at me. I looked at them. We all looked back at the engine.

The words, "My husband just added antifreeze..." were still coming out of my mouth. They did not say a word, merely picked up the cap. I got it. I said, "You mean he didn´t put the cap back on and that´s why my car overheated?"

They looked at me and looked at me. I did not know what they were thinking. Finally the lead mechanic spoke. "Don´t worry. This happens all the time. We will help you but you gotta promise us one thing?"

"What?"

"You won´t yell at your husband."

I promised I would not.

The car was still overheated and wouldn´t take any antifreeze. They guided me into the waiting area and said not to worry. They would fill up the antifreeze as soon as the car cooled down.

About 20 minutes later, my car was all set. They filled up my antifreeze. They filled up the overflow. They filled up my windshield washer fluid.

They said, "There you go. You are all set."

I had my wallet in my hand. I asked, "How much do I owe you?"

The lead mechanic said, "That´s all right. Its on us." He signalled with his hand with a wave that I owed him nothing.

I was so touched by their act of kindness that I just looked and him. I nodded and mouthed, "Thank you!" I touched my heart twice and sent him my heart. He understood and nodded. As we caught eyes, the eyes of the young mechanic, my motherly eyes glistened a tear in thank you.

For some reason, I don´t know why, I cried all the way home.

I kept thinking, "People can be so wonderful."

These 5 young men were so nice to me. They took care of me. They didn´t know me.
These young men were not rich. They were all American. They were of multi cultural ethnicities. They warmed my heart. They reminded me that people can be and are wonderful and there is hope for our country and for our world!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why Some Latinos are Angry about PBS´s The War

I was watching the PBS special "The War" this evening. My husband and I enjoy watching these types of programs. We are loyal Americans and appreciate the sacrifices our men in the military have made.

While I was watching this show, one of my frequent commenters asked me a question. "Why are Latinos protesting this program?" I visited a few websites and here is the explanation:

The Story Must Be Told and The History Preserved

A 15-hour "documentary" about Americans and World War II, to be broadcast by PBS in September 2007, initially excluded any mention of Latino heroes who fought to defend the United States from its enemies. After much public pressure, producer Ken Burns agreed to include interviews with Latinos and hired a Latino documentary producer. Subsequently, the new material added up to interviews with two Latino WWII Marines, and one Native American WWII veteran -- a total of 28 minutes.

But will it be meaningful? Defend the Honor is concerned that the new material was added simply to silence critics, and does not address the unique WWII Latino experience. For instance, in a major national meeting with the Television Critics Association on July 18, the critics were provided, in advance, boxed DVDs of the series -- minus the new material on Latinos and a Native American. Without access to the new material, television critics could not evaluate it and ask questions in open forum at their meeting with Ken Burns, associate producer Lynn Novick and PBS CEO and President Paula Kerger. Burns comments, as reported throughout the country, indicated he saw the issue of Latinos being omitted from the documentary as a "political" issue which he was able to "rise above."

About the Protests:
Four protests of the documentary are planned at local PBS stations Sunday in California; a Capitol rally is to be held in Austin, Texas; others will hold exhibits, commemoration days and panel discussions in their cities. Some events have already been held and others will continue through the month. Organizers said they want to inform people that Hispanics who fought discrimination and racism at home served valiantly in the war and on the homefront.

More:
Eighty-seven year-old Carlos Alvarez remembers his first experience of war, when he dodged the bullets of Japanese gunners and airplanes in the Philippine jungles during World War II. Now, 60-plus years later, he's on the front lines of a media war pitting grassroots Latino groups against the multimillion-dollar guns of PBS, its corporate sponsors and legendary filmmaker, Ken Burns. Since learning that "The War" initially excluded him and the more than 500,000 other Latinos who fought, were injured or died in World War II, Alvarez says he was "upset but not surprised" by what he calls "Mr. Burns negligence for omitting the Hispanic WW II experience." Rather than fume about it, he and other friends in Brawley, CA collected money and took out a full page ad in their local newspaper. The former Private First Class, in the Army's 7Th Cavalry's Troop G, hopes that his campaign would "make people think and realize World War II was not fought and won solely by white males."

Though "The War" now includes 28 minutes of footage of two Latino veterans, most major leaders of Latino organizations, members of the Congressional Hispanic Congress and a constellation of grassroots groups across the country remain dissatisfied.







. WW2: Latino Soldiers in the Phillipines


Monday, September 24, 2007

What Children are Learning from their Parents!! Why Official English Bill Will NOT Pass!!

Here we go again!! Last month, I wrote about a "White Power" - Spanish Class incident. This month, a little Hispanic Legal child whose family immigrated from Honduras was talking to her friend, non-chalantly in Spanish and a paranoid schoolmate beats her up and scars her face.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- The Turner School District and police are investigating whether a conversation in Spanish led to the beating of a 15-year-old girl. Susan Borjas said she spoke Spanish to a friend on a school bus on Thursday. Susan said she was threatened and then attacked by a girl she didn't know. "She started screaming at me, saying, why am I speaking Spanish?" Susan told KMBC's Maria Antonia.

Are these people being Carefully Taught by their parents? (What a coincindence she shares the same last name as Prof Borjas. Maybe they are related. What do you say Prof Borjas?)

This is why the Official English bill will NOT pass. Too many people will misunderstand and beat up people who have these very innocent chats with their friends. We need to stop teaching all of this anger.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Leave Arizona As Soon As Possible!

In 2008, Arizona´s tough, new anti-immigration law signed in June by Gov. Janet Napolitano goes into effect. This law puts at risk Arizona businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. These laws are so severe for business that knowingly or intentionally failing to VERIFY citizenship will cause the employer’s business licenses to be suspended. A second offense can result in the business being put out of business, or as some call it, the "business Death Penalty."

Arizona business owners will be REQUIRED to use the U.S. government’s automated system to verify employee citizenship. The automated system that Arizona businesses will have to use starting next year is known as the Basic Pilot Project or BPP. BPP was made available as a voluntary program in all 50 states beginning in July 2004, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Come January, so many businesses will be put out of business, their heads will be spinning. You see, many AZ business are very fuzzy about these new laws.

I am personally asking all illegal immigrants to LEAVE ARIZONA as soon as possible. Start packing today and leave now.If possible, you may want to return to your country of origin. If it is not possible, then move to New Mexico. Gov Richardson has decried the border fence. "The Congress should abandon the fence, lock, stock and barrel," Richardson said Thursday in a speech at Georgetown University laying out a four-part plan for immigration overhaul. "It flies in the face of America as a symbol of freedom."

I also suggest all PRO Immigration Reform supporters leave Arizona as soon as possible. If for nothing else, do this on principle. Move to New Mexico or Las Vegas. There are plenty of jobs in both places, housing costs are down, the climate is similar to AZ.

Let´s try this grand experiment. Call it a boycott if you will. Let Arizona build their wall from border to border, first a wall between AZ and MX. Then a wall between AZ and CA. Next a wall between AZ and NM.

Bring in the Minutemen to help you build the fence. They are already patrolling for free. The PROs can sell their homes at cost to the MMs. Bring in Simcox and Schwilke from San Diego. Bring in Tancredo and Gilchrist. Bring in William (from the alleycats) and while you are at it, bring in David Duke and others from the extremist ANTI crowds.

If Napolitano is successful, she will achieve her thriving Mayberrian culture and economy the ANTIs frequently talk about. AZ will serve as a role model to other states. Water and clean air will fill the lungs of the pale Northern European cultural ANTIs. No Spanish will touch the corners of their ears. No "Anchor Babies." McDonalds and Wal-Mart will pay $20 an hour to the elderly and students. The crops will be harvested and picked by teams of former auto workers being paid $30 an hour. It will be a Mayberrian Wonderland to serve as a role model for all the world to see!!

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Illegal Mexican & Haitian Workers fleeing to Canada from Florida

I came across this interesting article today. It looks like there are a number of questionable special interest groups that are convincing Mexican & Haitian Illegal Workers to take flight to Windsor (as a Michigan girl, I know Windsor is "across the street" from Detroit). Will the Exploitation of these people Never End?

Canada is blaming ICE & the Dept of Homeland Security.

From the article:

Refugees Pose ‘Potential Crisis’

Over the past three weeks, 45 families and 31 individuals—approximately 200 people—entered Canada at the Detroit River crossings and applied in Windsor for shelter and social assistance after filing refugee claims with the Canada Border Services Agency. Municipal agencies dealing with the sudden influx of mainly Mexican refugee applicants are renting out hotel rooms and bracing for predicted thousands more to come.

“I don’t believe that Windsor’s residents and taxpayers should have to foot the bill for U.S. immigration policy,” said Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis .

With the bulk of the latest arrivals being long-time Mexican illegals dislodged from their homes and workplaces in southwestern Florida, fingers are being pointed at unscrupulous outfits charging money and then directing desperate individuals and their families toward the Windsor border crossing.
“We are aware of these operations—they have been advertising incorrect and false information,” said Marina Wilson, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Wilson said Canadian immigration authorities have started contacting the Mexican and Haitian communities in Florida, as well as local media there, to get the word out that nothing has changed in Canadian refugee policy.

“The fact someone wants to come here for better economic opportunity or a better quality of life … that’s no basis for a successful refugee claim,” said Immigration Refugee Board (IRB) spokesman Charles Hawkins.

But a group operating out of Naples, Fla., vowed to continue sending the so-called economic refugees to Windsor.

“They ask, ‘Is Canada an option?’ and I say, ‘Yes, it is an option,’“ Jacques Sinjuste of the Jerusalem Haitian Community Center said in a phone interview Wednesday. For a US$300 “donation” (most of those interviewed in Windsor claim they paid US$400), JHCC staff download forms off the Internet, help applicants fill them out and give directions on how to get to the Canadian border.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Finding a Middle Ground on Immigration Issues


One of the newer commentors on my blog uses the screen name "Rick Monday." He is not the real RM, the famous Chitown athlete. Our Rick is a thoughtful commenter although he is on the ANTI side.

This brings to mind something I´ve noticed about people who participate in these discussions. Most PROs and ANTIs are thoughtful people who have heard or read about the Immigration issues our country is experiencing, have strong opinions and post their views on the internet.

I´ve been participating in these discussions since May of 2006. Over the months, I have formed a rating scale of PROs and ANTIs. I rate them from 1 - 10.
1: PRO Extremists and Aztlanists
2: Greedy Big Business or Political PROs
3 - 4: Middle Ground PROs who believe in Comprehensive Immigration Reform (me)
5 -6: PRO or ANTI leaning middle grounders and go back and forth regarding various Immigration Reform recommendations
7 - 8: Middle Ground ANTIs who are against Comprehensive Immigration Reform
9: Mean, Angry or Righteous ANTIs (lots of bloggers)
10: Nut Case Extemists (KKK, Aryan Nation or anyone that promotes violence)

I view Rick as a 6. He cares about the issue. He leans toward the ANTI side but is willing to listen and discuss the issues. Sometimes he changes his mind. That´s a good thing.
I think the majority of Americans fall in the 5 - 6 range.

As more people study the issues, more and more will fall into this Middle Ground.

Maybe Comprehensive Immigration Reform is possible as more and more people educate themselves, study Immigration History, Current Events, participate on blogs and make up their own minds vs listening to various pundits with an agenda on TV or AM Radio.

Page Hits