Monday, February 1, 2010

Grammys and Taylor Swift and Beyonce! I Don't Get It! Or Maybe I Do!



While my husband watched the Pro Bowl last night, I decided to watch the Grammys. I love singing and singers so I wanted to see what was advertised to be "the best of the best singers" perform. In the end, Beyonce Knowles and Taylor Swift walked away with the most awards. It was their night. We had an opportunity to see both of them perform many of their songs. Both are beautiful ladies with outstanding stage presence. However, neither of them are the best singers in either of their categories.

When I mention the word "ladies" I use this word on purpose. Both of these ladies have pristine reputations. Beyonce is married to Jay Z. She leads a very quiet social life, not fodder for the tabloids. No bad rumors. Taylor Swift (20) grew up in a little rural town in Pennsylvania before moving with her parents to a suburb of Nashville and only recently moved out of her parent's home into her own condo. In other words, both have squeaky clean reputations, have pretty faces, nice figures and are absolutely perfect for marketing purposes. They can sponsor anything.

However, I do not believe they are the best singers.
Beyonce - According to a recent poll, the following singers sing better than Beyonce:
1. Mariah Carey
2. Cristina Aguilera
3. Jennifer Hudson
4. Alicia Keys
5. Mary J Blige

Taylor Swift -who sings better? Wow! So many. But let's stick to Country. Many ask, IS that Country she is singing? In country, who sings better (I love country music):
1. Martina McBride
2. Shania Twain
3. Carrie Underwood
4. Trisha Yearwood
5. Reba McEntire (other old timers: Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn)
6. Faith Hill

Taylor is very talented. She plays her own guitar. She has written many songs (that all sound the same, very low and repetitive; some say whining.) And she and her family have marketed her very, very well.

Last night at the Grammys, Swift did not sound well, particularly when she sang with Stevie Nicks. Here is what
Time.com said about her performance:
"But something is off in her performance. Swift doesn't sound her best, especially in comparison to Stevie Nicks, her duet partner."
Click on this YouTube video, especially at 1:45 in, and you decide for yourself. Taylor is off key when she harmonizes. Just awful! But worse yet, doesn't seem to know it. As far as her song writing skills, decide for yourself. Here are the lyrics to the very repetitive tune "You belong with me"

You're on the phone with your girlfriend, She's upset
She's going off about something that you said
She doesnt get your
humour like I do

I'm in the room, its a typical Tuesday night
I'm listening to the
kind of music she doesnt like
And she'll never know
your story like I do

But she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts
She's cheer captain and
I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming bout the day
when you wake up and find
That what you're lookin for has been here the
whole time

Here is what I do GET: I will give it to Taylor and to Beyonce for their marketability. They are the best of the best in that category. I will also leave my feelings regarding their actual singing talents to a generation gap. I may not "get" their talents now, but at one point in my life I did like these songs which are very similar to theirs:
. It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To
. Who's Sorry Now
. He's So Fine

7 comments:

I Travel for JOOLS said...

Young people like Taylor because she's young like them. She also has undeniable talent. For a very young woman, she sings, writes, plays and puts on a really good performance. In other words she has it all for them. I like her too, but I think there are better country singers - but then I'm older. I loved seeing
Stevie Nicks, one of my all time favs. She has a voice hard to match and I thought their harmoney was great.

Was watching the awards with my daughter. Immediately she said, I don't like Beyonce. I said, "what"? She's fantastic. Ok - so maybe Beyonce doesn't have a voice like Witney Houston, but damn she can sing, and she can put on one hell of a performance and Witney isn't around anymore and the last time I heard her (can't remember where - a couple of months ago) she was AWFUL.

So, times change, audiences change, and that's just the way it is.

But, who stole the show - PINK ! Whoever choreographed her performance deserves a big time award. It was awesome !

. said...

Maybe because the Grammy's are based on sales, as opposed to talent.

Let's compare other genres of entertainment:

Movies- usually the best picture doesn't win.

Sports- The NBA was the top grossing, as well as the most offending.

Books- (they still exsist) Anything that Oprah pushes -regardless of quality- become best sellers. Also, the crap that gets little girls giddy (Twilight)- which also are some of the worst-written books I've ever sampled.

Magazines- The Enquirer and OK!-esque magazines always outsell National Geographic and Scientific American (two of the best in my mind).

Welcome to the new American Culture Dee, idiots abound.

P.S.
I was suprised "Pants on the ground" didn't get any awards..... this year.

Dee said...

Jools,
Thinking back, I did love to listen to Carly Simon. She was like Taylor Swift. Not a great voice, but great songs that went right to the heart of things young girls were thinking.

She was very brave to sing with a great singer like Stevie Nicks, especially in harmony.

You are right. There were some very over the top explosive performances by Pink and Lady Gaga. Wow!

Dee said...

PD,
I just heard the new Pants on the Ground song on the radio, complete with a band and the original AI singer. I bet it will be played at the Superbowl this weekend.

Tom Degan said...

Thank you for your comments on "The Rant", Dee.

You absolutely made my day!

Love and Peace,

Tom Degan

ultima said...

Not to throw cold water on those who love this trash but I thought there was very little singing and an awful lot of crazy staging and costumes, robots, etc. I exited the program early. Parts I thought were rather disgusting.

ultima said...

I am appalled at what has become to the music traditions of America. It is obscene in some cases.

Page Hits