Thursday, January 1, 2009

Civil Rights Movement and Immigration Reform Similarities: My Blog New Year's Resolutions

I write my blog to provide PRO Immigration Reformers an equal voice in the Immigration debate. I view our PRO viewpoint very similar to the Civil Rights Movement.
. The Civil Rights marchers protested the wrongful Jim Crow laws.
. We protest wrongful Immigration Laws, Detention Centers, Racial Profiling, Hate Crimes, etc.
. They advocated education, equal pay, the vote and Human Rights.

. We advocate the same.
. The Civil Rights protesters were viewed by some as agitators, ANTI American and ANTI White.
. The ANTIs demonize PROs using this same rhetoric.
. Many Civil Rights protesters were wrongfully imprisoned.
. Many undocumented families are wrongfully imprisoned in Detention Centers.
. Today, most Americans realize the Civil Rights marchers were heroes and the laws needed to be changed.
. More and more Americans are coming to the same conclusion towards the PRO Immigration Reformers.

When I first started my blog in May, 2007, the ANTI side far outnumbered the PRO side. Not only did the ANTIs have several websites and discussion boards, they monopolized several newspaper comment sections. Additionally, any time a new PRO website or discussion board or blog came on-line, often, they attempted to hijack or monopolize the comments with negative attacks. Now, in 2009, the number of PRO Bloggers and Discussion Boards have grown exponentially. Hundreds, perhaps thousands are on the web today. Many of us have joined the PRO Blogosphere, linking to each other, sharing the same voice as we bring light to our cause.

On my blog, I am purposely provocative. I purposely go head to head in these discussions with the ANTI side. I go at them hard. Head to head. They come back at me just as hard. Head to head. It is often like a duel, swords blazing. Occassionally the ANTI side tries to hijack my blog, demonize my PRO commenters and attack me. In the past, my purpose in allowing these sometimes heated discussions was to serve as an example to all PRO Bloggers that we can fight back, head to head, toe to toe and still remain civil. We can host blogs or discussion boards or websites and express our viewpoint with no fear of recrimination. We have every right to our opinion. While in most cases on my blog this has worked, there have been times when a radical few attempted to hijack my blog and scare away a few of my PRO commenters. I have been doing some re-thinking about my blog and my purpose. I am a proud PRO Blogger and I encourage ALL PROs to start their own Blogs and gain their own voice. Therefore, I have decided to monitor my comments more closely to ensure the ANTI hijackers do not use my blog as their own forum to grandize their own egos. While my civil ANTI commenters are more than welcome to stay and discuss and participate here, the hijackers are encouraged to move on and start their own blogs.

For New Year 2009, I have made several resolutions for my Blog.

1. My Blog will focus on my Top 5 2009 PRO Causes:
a. Reduce HATE Crimes by raising awareness on the web, in the media, in the judicial system.
b. Fight to End Racial Profiling; this includes advocating the end to the 287(g) policies.
c. Advocate the Closing of Detention Centers in 2009, especially Hutto Family Detention Center in Taylor, TX.
d. End inhumane treatment that occurs during ICE Raids; If raids occur, ensure the Employer is as equally impacted as the workers.
e. Advocate Fair and Equal Border policies across all borders, ports and terminals.
Note: I will continue to support and champion Comprehensive Immigration Reform, this includes bringing the 12M here out of the shadows and into some legal status, and I will continue to include many posts that discuss PRO CIR issues, however, due to the economic and war issues, I do not expect a CIR Bill will be introduced or passed in 2009. Therefore, I am championing my Top 5 issues on my blog in 2009.

2. Blog policies:
a. While the civil discussions between PRO and ANTI will continue to be invited and encouraged, No longer will I allow the hijacking of my blog by ANTI extremists. ANTIs will not be allowed to "Beat Down" new PRO commenters or me.
b. As the blog owner, I will monitor the comments very closely to ensure no violations occur. Any ANTI who disagrees with these policies are invited to start their own blogs which they will be free to manage any way they prefer.
c. I am a PRO Blogger. I proudly admit this. If you participate on this Blog, know and expect I will agree with most PRO commenters.

The audience for my blog continues to grow each month. My eblogger reports say I have over 10,000 viewers a month. 95% are from the US, with the next highest views from Canada, England and Germany, although dozens of countries view my blog each month. In the US, I have viewers in every state, with the top states being 1. California, 2. Texas, 3. New York, 4. Illinois. If you go into Google and type in Immigration Talk with a Mexican American, you see I have had over 430,000 on that name alone.


My hope is every PRO viewer will start their own blog and share their viewpoints; then we can all link our blogs together to share our voices across the nation and across the world. Perhaps then we will see real changes in this Immigration debate and the end to HATE Crimes and Racial Profiling.

Remember! We are the new Civil Rights marchers. We are the new advocators of CHANGE. This time the change is Comprehensive Immigration Reform. While it will take time to blog, ask yourself, if not me, then who will carry the message and challenge the ANTIs. Their argument is they are the only Patriots in this discussion. They are wrong. My PRO viewers understand PROs are Patriotic, Military supporting, True Blue Americans who are advocating for the Immigration changes our country needs!

Thank you for your continued support! Happy New Year 2009!


God Bless America!

7 comments:

Billie Greenwood said...

I love your blog. These are great guidelines for the coming year. I endorse your decision to monitor anti-hyjackers' comments. I look forward to learning here.

Dee said...

Border Explorer,
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.
I think this will be a very interesting year and truly a year of change.

PS: I also enjoy your blog and thank you for introducing me to The Peace Tree blog.

. said...

Dee said:
a. While the civil discussions between PRO and ANTI will continue to be invited and encouraged, No longer will I allow the hijacking of my blog by ANTI extremists. ANTIs will not be allowed to "Beat Down" new PRO commenters or me.
b. As the blog owner, I will monitor the comments very closely to ensure no violations occur. Any ANTI who disagrees with these policies are invited to start their own blogs which they will be free to manage any way they prefer."


I agree that needs to be some civility in discuss, less it become a playground fight over the cooler shoes....

But your 'policies' are not very clear. "Beat Down" is fairly vague. I fear it may become another 'yes man' blog, not truly allowing debate but rather a confirmation of ideas.

Dee said...

AZ,
I think it is easy to tell the difference when someone is civil vs not. You and I disagree but we are civil to each other. No name calling. You share your feedback. Ultima is respectful as well. You can disagree and even kid around doing so without belittling or being profane.

Some of the extremists are attempting to add their comments now. They are calling me every vile name you can think of. (I'll email you some of them if you want to see their vile language. email me on dee_perezscott@yahoo.com)
Their name calling was getting to be too much and I will no longer allow my blog to be used by them to feed their egos.

Dee said...

And, just to add focus to my Top 5 issues this year, here they are again:
1. My Blog will focus on my Top 5 2009 PRO Causes:
a. Reduce HATE Crimes by raising awareness on the web, in the media, in the judicial system.
b. Fight to End Racial Profiling; this includes advocating the end to the 287(g) policies.
c. Advocate the Closing of Detention Centers in 2009, especially Hutto Family Detention Center in Taylor, TX.
d. End inhumane treatment that occurs during ICE Raids; If raids occur, ensure the Employer is as equally impacted as the workers.
e. Advocate Fair and Equal Border policies across all borders, ports and terminals.

Anonymous said...

You are correct. CIR will not occur this year. American citizens are suffering high levels of unemployment, sure to go higher. More American citizens are in need of public assistance programs. More Americans are uninsured and in need of medical care. More American citizens are losing their homes. Meantime, states are going broke, unable to meet the needs of citizens. Food pantrys are running out of food. America cannot take care of its own people during these times. CIR will not occur this year.

. said...

Anonymous said...
"You are correct. CIR will not occur this year."

I wonder... were you referring to my Web log (for some reason I hate 'Blog')? I didn't see anyone else in this section refer to this.....

Page Hits